Hungry and want a quick meal that’s also full of flavor? In this case, there is no better idea than to prepare a recipe for croque-monsieur in the oven! Crispy and melting simultaneously, this dish is undoubtedly one of our favorites. Below is a fantastic recipe you can whip up in no time, along with the most common mistakes that can ruin the final taste. Avoid them to get a true chef’s preference.
Croque monsieur recipe in the oven
The croque-monsieur has never been a simple sandwich. Instead, it’s a fantastic meal you can prepare quickly after work for your family or friends. And if you choose the right products, we promise you a real gourmet fiesta.
Ingredients for six sandwiches
- 12 slices of white bread
- 12 slices of ham
- 170 g grated Gruyere cheese
- 240ml whole milk
- 1/4 onion
- Three whole cloves
- a pinch of nutmeg
- a bit of ground white pepper
- One bay leaf
- One sprig of thyme
- One tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- Two tablespoons unsalted butter
- a pinch of salt
Preparation of the bechamel
- As shown in the photo above, take the onion slice and pierce it with the cloves. Then add it to a saucepan with the butter and let it melt over low heat.
- After a few minutes, add the milk, spices, bay leaf, and sprig of thyme and bring to a boil.
- Let the herbs release their aroma, then remove them with the onion.
- Then add the flour and whisk quickly to avoid lumps forming. Whisk until the sauce thickens and coats the back of the spoon.
Preparation of the croque-monsieur in the oven
- Preheat the oven to 200°C on the grill mode if you have one.
- Place half of the bread on a baking dish with a wire rack.
- Then add a thin layer of béchamel to the bread.
- After, put the ham and the cheese and pour more béchamel on the cheese. Then cover with the second slice of bread. Finish with another generous layer of cheese on top and bake until the cheese is melted and golden.
You can cut the ham into small pieces using a chopper instead of slices.
Mistakes must be avoided.
The recipe for croque-monsieur in the oven is straightforward. You can prepare it even faster if you omit the bechamel sauce. However, some simple mistakes can spoil the final taste, which is best avoided. Here they are :
⇒ Let’s start with the ingredients. Making a sandwich doesn’t mean you can use whatever kind of products you have. So, first of all, use a loaf from the local bakery, not the American sandwich loaf. They have nothing in common! As for the cheese, you can use Emmental or Compté, but the best for the baked Croque monsieur recipe is Gruyère.
⇒ When assembling the sandwich, pay attention to the amount of sauce you put in. If it’s too much (or too runny), you’ll have to skip the crispiness of the croque-monsieur.
⇒ If you don’t have a baking dish with a rack, then use the oven rack, but place a tray underneath if the melted cheese starts to fall out. It is also a good idea to put parchment paper. It will save you time cleaning the dish. If you use a conventional baking tray, you stop the ventilation, and the croque-monsieur will not be crispy.
⇒ If you do not have time to prepare a béchamel sauce, it is better to do without it than to add a commercial product.
What accompaniment with a croque-monsieur?
The croque-monsieur is a dish that delights the whole family. For brunch, lunch, or dinner, you can always accompany it with a fresh salad or a seasonal drink to enhance its taste. I love the combination with sparkling elderflower lemonade. But you can also try the classic mimosa or the bellini cocktail.
To add nutritional value to your Croque monsieur, consider preparing a platter with raw vegetables. The mix of colors and the boost of vitamins can make a simple sandwich an excellent idea for an aperitif. In this case, opt for mini versions by cutting the slices of bread into four equal pieces.